The Town Scryer is a mixed bag of humor, socio-political observations and ephemera from the perspective of a eclectic Pagan veteran of the counter-culture.

Sunday, May 29, 2011

Oh Brave New World...

     I was up late watching TV and trying to escape the Memorial Day weekend orgy of war movies while I did laundry. There was a rerun of "The Fringe" on and I took refuge there for an hour. Then it happened. There, on the screen of my television, in my suburban living room,  was an ad for medical marijuana. I almost spilled my beer.

     You have to understand. It's one thing to see a medical pot ad in the Sacramento News and Review. Hell, the weed ads get more column inches than the actual articles do. It's an alternative paper. I used to work for one so I know, you look for ad demographics that either can't afford the big papers or that the big papers are afraid to touch. TV is a whole different ball game. They tend to be as conservative as most big newspapers...at least until well after midnight. Still, there it was at only 11:20PM.

     Amazing.

     Most of you are thinking "So what? It was bound to happen. It was only a matter of time." That's because you have never scarfed down a half-ounce of pot before you were pulled over for a traffic stop and tried to talk to a CHP officer with one hell of a case of cotton mouth.

     Such things happened a lot back when possession of any weed at all was good for one to five in prison if the judge had a mean on that morning. Timothy Leary got ten years for a single bud in '68!


     Anyway, the point is, enjoy the moment. There are damn few victories, moral or otherwise these days and this would seem to be one.


     They just passed the Patriot Act for another four years. I'll take what I can get.


   


Be seeing you.




1 comment: